Thursday 11 August 2011

Reflections on our Impact

For the last few days, I regularly find that teachers are handing more and more control of lessons over to me.  In a way I am glad this is happening as, although it increases my workload, it allows me to correct mistakes in methods that they have taught.  This hopefully helps the students as well as the teacher which in turn improves the education for future years.  The educating of teachers, although not explicitly stated as one of the goals of Warwick in Africa, is probably one of the most important things we can do out here as, although we may not notice it in our short time our here, it significantly improves the education, and thus the prospects, of students for years to come.

Outside of school, and as I posted yesterday, I went to see the South Africa/Burkina Faso match last night.  Atmosphere-wise it was not nearly as impressive as the Soweto Derby as the stadium was less than a quarter full, yet there were goals scored outside of extra time which was quite exciting!  To be fair though, for most of the match Burkina Faso were exceptionally unimpressive and by the time they fully engaged, they were already 3-0 down and it was too late to catch up!  The match finished with a decent 3-0 victory for Bafana Bafana (the nickname give to the South African national team) so we were, of course, very pleased!

Better be off now - I'm posting this a lot later than usual and need to get to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment