Tuesday 30 August 2011

Go-Karting, Bruises, Governmental Testing and a Lack of Water (Again)

Last night, we went go-karting with the Soweto Warwick in Africa group.  Although I was the worst person on the track by far, I managed to cut my PB lap time from 23.92 seconds to 19.48 seconds in the course of an hour or so on the track, which I think is a fair improvement.
The biggest problem is that I've now got a fairly impressive collection of bruising from where I kept spinning into the course of another kart and getting smashed into.  Nothing broken as far as I'm aware, so it was worth it!

This morning, I had to set a test approved by the government that was to assess key mathematical skills for Grade 8 learners.  After I had collected the tests back in, I asked whether they wanted me to mark them, and was told "It's not our test, so don't waste your time!", which was fairly harsh towards the testing people, but reflective of the attitude that the teachers have that they should not work more then they do within school hours.  It is this reason that results in lessons and worksheets being poorly planned and is one of the biggest things that could be improved at the higher levels.

This afternoon, as is getting more common, we ran out of water.  These patterns of water shortages have revealed though that different schools (even adjacent schools) are on different water supplies as KwaBhekilanga and Realogile both ran out of water on the same days even though they are quite far apart, yet East Bank, which is pretty much right next door to KwaBhekilanga has not.

The early finish did allow me to get some photos from the upper floors of the school and Alex, but I'll probably post them later.  I did get one of the "Chair Graveyard" though!

The Chair Graveyard

Better be off now - got to go get some more school supplies from the mall later.

No comments:

Post a Comment