Monday 22 August 2011

Marking

I've just finished marking the tests on graphs that I set Grade 8 earlier today.  The results are quite interesting.  Exactly half of those who sat the test got over the 30% pass mark, but individual marks ranged from 4% all the way up to 92%, indicating that I taught the brighter half of the class well, and the other half either did not pass attention or understand what I was teaching them.

As predicted, several people had copied answers from their neighbours tests.  To be fair there were only 2 or 3 (out of a class of 30) for which it was blatant and on whose tests I wrote a very subtle note saying "This is an answer to a question on someone else's test..."  Hopefully this will get the message across that I do not tolerate cheating!

I'll keep updating this post throughout the evening as I mark more work, so stay tuned!

Update 1:  I've just finished marking one of the Grade 8 classes' assessed assignment on Ratios and Rate (the same one as I did with 8H and referenced in the post "Let's Sing the Grade 8 Classes that I Teach Song - A, B, G, H, J...", where I mentioned that out of 24 pupils, 2 got a zero, 15 passed and 3 got over 60%)
In this class 25 pupils submitted the assignment with 5 getting a zero, only 3 passing and those same 3 getting over 60%.  In other words, they did worse.  Much worse.  And I asked them for 2 hours straight to ask me any questions they had about the assignment, and even when nobody said anything, went through similar questions.  What did I do wrong?


I'll do another update when I have finished marking the other class' copies of this assignment.  Hopefully they will have done better than this class...


Update 2:  I've just finished marking the other class and in this class 32 pupils submitted the assignment with 4 getting a zero, 13 passing and 4 getting over 60%.  Which is at least better than the previous class, but still not great...


So summarising the three classes:


8H - 8.3% zero - 62.5% pass - 12.5% over 60%
8B - 20% zero - 12% pass - 12% over 60%
8G - 12.5% zero - 40.6% pass - 12.5% over 60%


So basically, my best class was the one I taught the least.  I guess that just means that I am an awful teacher...


Better be off now - got to mark their classwork books now...

No comments:

Post a Comment