Sunday 31 July 2011

Apartheid in South Africa

To try and help people understand Apartheid in South Africa, I am going to reverse the situation in this post (making it unfairly biased towards non-Whites).  For this reason (if you are reading this post on Facebook or another site that does not support formatting) I recommend that you read it directly from my blog: stepheninsouthafrica.blogspot.com

This attempt will not do justice to the entire situation, I will admit that now, but I thought that this would be an interesting attempt to represent the repression of the system.  I do not mean any disrespect to anyone in this post and if you are offended I sincerely apologise.

If you are non-White, please read the first section below, which will be posted in red. If you are White, please read the section section, which will be posted in blue.

NON-WHITES ONLY
Today we went to a museum documenting the history of Apartheid in South Africa.  Outside the museum there we several large pillars, representing the fundamental rights granted to all citizens in South Africa by the post-Apartheid Constitution, to remind visitors of how South Africa is today.  At the entrance to the museum we were segregated based on which ticket we held (they we randomly allocated) and sent into two corridors separated by a mesh wall.  Although the exhibits on both sides of the wall were the same, the separation based on something seemingly as trivial as a word printed on your entrance ticket seemed very unfair.  Unlike Apartheid in South Africa, this segregation only lasted for the first 25 meters or so of the museum before we could be reunited.  As was to be expected, a large section of the museum was dedicated to Nelson Mandela, including the car he was given upon his release from jail.  The materials for the car were paid for by the senior staff at the factory and the labourers who built it did so for free as a way of thanking Mandela for his sacrifice.  I will not go into the full details of the rest of the museum.  Needless to say it was exceptionally shocking and really made you think as to how one set of human beings could treat another so unfairly.


ALL OTHER CLASSES
Today we went to the Apartheid Museum.  It was interesting.  It made me think.

I'd better be off now, I hope I made you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment